Pierce Atwood is a multiservice regional law firm comprised of 150 responsive, creative, collaborative, and hard-working professionals who serve our clients from offices in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, the District of Columbia, and Stockholm, Sweden. We are pleased that so many of our attorneys have been recognized and honored by both nationally and internationally, and have served as judges, governors, and members of Congress.
- 72 attorneys are listed in more than 60 areas of law, and eight named "Lawyer of the Year" in Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- Class actions team received National Tier 1 ranking in 2017 U.S. News-Best Law Firms directory. Admiralty & Maritime practice receives Metro Boston Tier 1 ranking.
Chambers and Partners
- Only firm in Maine to receive number one rankings in all six practice areas evaluated in the state by Chambers 2016.
- Only law firm in Maine with an international presence and ranking in Chambers' Global Guide.
- Pierce Atwood's Environmental Practice Group the only law firm in Maine with a #1 ranking, and with more #1 ranked attorneys than any other law firm in New England.
- A total of 36 attorneys in all firm offices, across a wide range of practices were recognized in the Chambers 2016 guide.
- Pierce Atwood's Trusts & Estates Practice Group, and two of its partners, were ranked #1 for Private Wealth Law in Maine in the inaugural edition of Chambers 2016 High Net Worth Guide.
BTI Consulting Group
- BTI Litigation Outlook 2017 recognized Pierce Atwood as an unparalleled leader in client service. Inclusion is limited to law firms considered by clients to delivery the absolute best levels of client service.
- In the 2015 Brand Elite research study, Pierce Atwood was recognized for its leadership, value, and innovation. BTI Consulting Group is the leading provider of strategic research to the legal industry.
Additional Honors & Distinctions. Of our attorneys past and present:
- 63 are rated "AV Preeminent" by Martindale-Hubbell.
- 4 have been elected members of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- 3 have served as Special Master to the United States Supreme Court.
- 2 have served as Chief Justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
- 1 is currently serving as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- 1 is currently a senator from New Hampshire
- 1 is currently serving as a judge in New Hampshire Superior Court
Our attorneys also serve in many prominent roles within the legal community including as immediate past president of the Maine Trial Lawyers Association, past president of the Boston Bar Association, former head of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and former Independent Counsel investigating allegations against a U.S. Secretary of Labor.
Pierce Atwood is proud to be included in the BTI Client Service A-Team 2017, described as “law firms considered by clients to deliver the absolute best levels of client service.” In the 2015 BTI Brand Elite research study, Pierce Atwood was recognized for its leadership, value, and innovation. BTI Consulting Group is the leading provider of strategic research to the legal industry.